Thursday, November 17, 2016

Communication

Hello Everyone! This week in Family Relations we talked about the way people communicate with one another. I found this to be very interesting and I definitely learned a lot of great things that I can use for my current and future relationships with the people around me. We talked about a three step process that all of us go through when trying to communicate an idea, thought, or feeling to another. These steps are encoding the message, the medium the information is presented with, and then the message then being decoded.

I want to focus on the media (medium) we use when we communicate which are basically the different ways people communicate with each other. In class we identified three different types of media which are words, tone, and then non-verbal communication. When I first thought about these I thought words were probably the media people pay the most attention to, but I was wrong. We were asked as a class to guess what percentage of each of these three media people pay the most attention to during a conversation. After we gave our guesses brother Williams told us the actual statistics and I was really surprised. Words turned out to be only about 14% of communication, tone is 35%, and non-verbal communication is 51%. I had no idea, but it makes so much sense now. I've noticed that whenever I'm having a conversation with someone and they are on their phone, it doesn't matter what they say to me because I know they weren't trying to pay attention to me while I was talking. It might not be that way for the person I was trying to talk to, but it most certainly feels that way for me.

Brother Williams shared a quote with us that I really liked. It says "We can never not communicate." I feel like that sums up what I learned this week pretty well.

With love: Sydney

No comments:

Post a Comment